The story has been updated for the 2022 summer season.
Take a hot Texas day, add a dose of H2O and you’ll probably end up with cool summer fun. Splash pads, spraygrounds and interactive fountains can be a go-to source for free family recreation. For a safe outing, parks and recreation departments recommend the following:
- Wear swim shoes.
- No running or rough play
- Don’t drink water from the water features.
- Immediately clear the spray area if there is lightning.
Check websites for the latest information on daily schedules and season closing dates.
The splash pad at Slayter Creek Park offers spray tunnels and raining buckets. To start the spray, tap the sensor on the top of the blue post. 425 W. Rosamond Parkway, Anna. annatexas.gov.
Free splash pads are located at Don Misenhimer Park, 201 E. Lonesome Dove Trail; Brantley Hinshaw Park, 2121 Overbrook Drive; and California Lane Park, 2001 California Lane. The splash pad at Beacon Recreation Center, 1100 Mansfield Webb Road, requires a membership or purchase of a day pass. arlingtontx.gov.
Oak Hills Splash Park at 1225 Royal Palm Lane and W.J. Thomas Splash Park at 1955 N. Perry Road both have free water playgrounds with raining buckets, climbing features and shaded areas. cityofcarrollton.com.
McPherson Park, on the site of a historic Colleyville dairy farm, has a splash pad and playground nestled among historic structures. 240 W. McDonwell School Road, Colleyville. colleyvilleparksandrec.com.
Coming July 9, The Colony opens Kids Colony Spray Park with features including a ship’s mast with buckets that dump water and a spraying fish named Finn. 5151 N. Colony Boulevard, The Colony. thecolonytx.gov.
- City Spray Parks - There are 17 city-operated spray parks located throughout Dallas. Check the website for locations. dallasaquatics.org.
- Civic Garden - The downtown Dallas park features an interactive fountain that shoots three arching sprays. The fountain is scheduled to run from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., daily. 1014 Main St. (at Griffin), Dallas. parksfordowntowndallas.org.
- Main Street Garden - The park on the east end of downtown Dallas has a flowing layer of water on the bottom of its splash fountain, which keeps your feet nice and cool as you walk around. There are also smooth stone benches within the fountain space, so you can have a seat and cool your toes. Main Street Garden also features a mini playground, a lawn and a dog run. 1902 Main St., between St. Paul and Harwood streets, Dallas. parksfordowntowndallas.org/iconic-park-main-street-garden/
Visit the splash pad located behind South Euless Elementary School in the 5-acre South Euless Park, 600 S. Main, Euless. eulesstx.gov.
Cool off at the splash pad at Forney Community Park. 241 S. FM548, Forney. forneytx.gov/238/Recreation
Sycamore Spray Ground, 2525 E. Rosedale St., Fort Worth. fortworth.com.
Safari Splash offers 14,000 square feet of water fun at the Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Parkway. $5 in addition to zoo admission. fortworthzoo.org.
There are three free water playground options in Frisco. Frisco Commons (8000 McKinney Road, Frisco) is one of the best spray parks in town, plus it’s close to the sprawling playground at Hope Park. There are also neighborhood spray parks at J.R. Newman Park (8211 Twin Falls Drive) and Shepherds Glen Park (12012 Shepherds Hill Drive). friscotexas.gov/581/spray-parks.
You will find free spray play at Parr Park (3010 Parr Lane). gograpevine.com.
The city offers two spray parks. Northwest Spray Park, 2800 Cheyenne St.; and Southwest Spray Park, 2800 W. Shady Grove Road. cityofirving.org/2796/spray-parks.
The free splash pad is located at the back of McCord Park, 1001 Witt Road. littleelm.org.
Nine McKinney parks have free splash pads. Get the details at mckinneytexas.org.
Enjoy the splash pads at Liberty Playground at Windhaven Meadows Park, 5400 Windhaven Parkway; Jack Carter Pool, 2601 Pleasant Valley Drive; Plano Aquatic Center, 2301 Westside Drive; and Tom Muehlenbeck Recreation Center, 5801 W. Parker Road, Plano. plano.gov.
Located in Frontier Park, the splash pad is near the windmill playground and shaded pavilion. 1551 Frontier Parkway, Prosper. prosperparksandrec.org.
The city of Rockwall has three free spraygrounds. They’re at Harry Myers Park (815 E. Washington St.), the Park at Fox Chase (4475 Tubbs Drive) and the Park at Hickory Ridge (1910 Walnut Ridge Drive). playrockwall.com/spraygrounds.