- the type of information about you AHC collects through the Services;
- how AHC collects such information;
- how AHC uses such information;
- who will have access to such information; and
- AHC's security measures for protecting such information.
Please read this Policy carefully so that you understand our online privacy practices. By using any of our Services, you agree that your use and any dispute over our privacy practices are governed by this Policy as well as our Terms of Service, including the limitation of liability, indemnity, arbitration, forum selection, class action waiver and governing law provisions contained in the Terms of Service. As technologies evolve rapidly, we reserve the right to make changes to this Policy at any time. Any such changes to our Policy will be posted promptly on this page. We will update the "Last Updated" date to reflect the effective date of the changes.
What Types of Information Do We Collect?
As used herein, the term "personal information" means information (including personally identifiable information) that would allow someone to specifically identify you or contact you physically or online (e.g., your name, physical address, telephone number, email address, social security number); and the term "non-personal information" means any information other than personal information that We may collect from you.
We collect personal and non-personal information about you through the Services. The categories of such information we collect may include:
- Identity Data (for example, your name, username or similar identifier, birthdate, gender, marital status, title, or other basic demographic information);
- Contact Data (for example, your billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers);
- Financial Data (for example your bank account and payment card details when you make a purchase from us);
- Transaction Data (for example, details about payments to and from you and other details of Services you have purchased from us);
- Device and Browser Data (for example, your internet protocol (IP) address, internet service provider (ISP), your login data, browser type and version, browser language, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, clickstream data, time zone setting, geolocation, mobile-based location, device type, unique device identifiers, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our Services and Digital Properties);
- Usage Data (including information about how you interact with and use our Services, including, for example, how you accessed the Services, where you go when you leave the Services, number of clicks on a page or feature, amount of time spent on a page or feature, identity of third-party websites, networks, platforms, servers and applications accessed through the Services, and if you contact The Dallas Morning News, we may log information about the means through which you contacted us and our interaction with you);
- Profile Data (for example, your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses);
- Social Media Data (e.g., comments, videos, photographs, images), and information about such statements or content, which you submit or publish on or through the Services, or which are accessed via your public or linked social media pages (e.g., Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, Instagram);
- Marketing and Communications Data (for example, your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties, if any, and your communication preferences).
How is Information Collected?
We collect personal and non-personal information from you when you visit, access, register with, subscribe to or use the Services; when you register for, subscribe to, order or purchase any products and/or services on, through or in relation to the Services; when you "sign in," "log in," or the like to the Services; when you allow the Services to access, upload, download, import or export content found on or through, or to otherwise interact with, your computer or mobile device (or any other device you may use to visit, access or use the Services) or online accounts with third-party websites, networks, platforms, servers or applications (e.g., your online social media accounts, your cloud drives and servers, your mobile device service provider); or whenever We ask you for such information, such as, for example, when you process a payment through the Services, or when you answer an online survey or questionnaire, enter a sweepstakes or contest or sign up for a newsletter.
In addition, if you or a third-party sends Us a comment, message or other communication (such as, by way of example only, email, letter, fax, phone call, or voice message) about you or your activities on or through the Services, then We may collect any personal or non-personal information provided therein or therewith.
We may also use various tracking, data aggregation and/or data analysis technologies, including, for example, the following:
- Cookies, which are small data files (e.g., text files) stored on the browser or device you use to view a website or message. They may help store user preferences and activity, and may allow a website to recognize a particular browser or device. There are several types of cookies, including, for example, browser cookies, session cookies, and persistent cookies. Cookies may record information you access on one page of a website to simplify subsequent interaction with that website, or to help streamline your transactions on related pages of that website. Most major browsers are set up so that they will initially accept cookies, but you might be able to adjust your browser's or device's preferences to issue you an alert when a cookie is downloaded, or to block, reject, disable, delete or manage the use of some or all cookies on your browser or device.
- Flash cookies, which are cookies written using Adobe Flash, and which may be permanently stored on your device. Like regular cookies, Flash cookies may help store user preferences and activity, and may allow a website to recognize a particular browser or device. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings that are used for regular cookies.
- Web beacons, which are pieces of code embedded in a website or email to monitor your activity on the website or your opening of the email, and which can pass along information such as the IP address of the computer or device you use to view the website or open the email, the URL page on which the web beacon is located, the type of browser that was used to access the website, and previously set cookie values. Web beacons are sometimes used to collect advertising data, such as counting page views, promotion views or advertising responses. Disabling your computer's, device's or browser's cookies or other tracking technology features may prevent some web beacons from tracking or recording certain information about your activities.
- Scripts, which are pieces of code embedded in a website to define how the website behaves in response to certain key or click requests sent by the user. Scripts are sometimes used to collect information about the user's interactions with the website, such as the links the user clicks on. Scripts are often times temporarily downloaded to the user's computer or device from the website server, active only while the user is connected to a Site, and deactivated or deleted when the user disconnects from the Services.
- Analytic tools and services, which are sometimes offered by third-parties, and which track, measure and/or generate information about a website's or program's traffic, sales, audience and similar information, and which may be used for various reasons, such as, for example, statistical research, marketing research, and content ratings research, and conversion tracking.
Please be advised that if you choose to block, reject, disable, delete or change the management settings for any or all of the aforementioned technologies and/or other tracking, data aggregation and data analysis technologies, then certain areas of the Services might not function properly.
By visiting, accessing, registering with or using the Services, you acknowledge and agree in each instance that you are giving Us permission to monitor or otherwise track your activities on the Services, and that We may use the aforementioned technologies and/or other tracking, data aggregation and data analysis technologies.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We believe we can enhance your experience using our Services by analyzing the information you share with us. We may use and/or analyze the Personal Information and Non-Personal Information you share in the following ways:
- To statistically analyze Services usage;
- To improve our content and product offerings;
- To personalize the content, recommendations, layout, and features of our Services;
- To respond to your comments and questions;
- To diagnose and resolve server problems;
- To make location-based offers that might interest you, enable you to submit user-generated content based on your location, and otherwise improve your experience using our Services;
- To help us recognize your browser as a previous visitor so that we may save and remember any preferences that may have been set when you last visited us. For example, if you register for our Services, we may store your username and password to save you time and convenience when you visit;
- To match Personal and Non-Personal Information we collect through our Services with other information about you supplied by third parties so that we can provide you with customized product and content offerings (including targeted ads and offers);
- To improve our advertising and marketing efforts;
- To contact you requesting your participation in user surveys, asking for feedback on current Services or prospective products and services to improve the Services and better understand our users; and
- To send you information and communications related to products and services that we believe will interest you.
With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information?
Our Affiliated Companies
We may share any information that we collect with any company that is directly or indirectly owned, controlled, or operated by AHC, as well as any employees of such companies. This is so that AHC and its affiliated companies can communicate with you about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. The use and further disclosure of the information collected through our Services by our affiliated companies will be governed by this Policy.
Vendors, Service Providers and Provider Partners
We currently have and will continue to have arrangements with third-party vendors and service providers (e.g., credit card processors, shipping companies, fulfillment services, business partners, promotional partners, co-branded sites, etc.) that assist us with the operation and development of our Services. We reserve the right to share with these companies any information we collect, provided that they commit to use the Personal Information only in relation for the services they provide for us or our users.
We might use or share non-personal, anonymized and/or aggregated information - and We reserve the unencumbered right, but not the obligation, to use or share such information - because such information does not identify you.
In some cases, a vendor or service provider of ours may collect your information on our behalf. Third-party providers featured on or linked to by our Services may also gather information through processes that we do not control. As such, collection of such information is subject to the third-party's privacy policies.
To make our Services more valuable to our visitors, we may offer some features of our Services in conjunction with other unaffiliated companies ("Provider Partners") that specialize in operating such features. For example, we may offer a car buying service, personalized finance and weather information services, social networking tools, sweepstakes offers, or other promotions through cooperative arrangements with Provider Partners. We share Personal Information with our Provider Partners as is useful or necessary for them to provide you with the features that they offer through our cooperative arrangement with them. Some of these Provider Partners may also collect their own Personal Information in connection with providing their services. Their use of such information will be subject to their own privacy policies and terms of service, which you should review. Please refer to "What Other Parties Might Be Collecting Information When You Use Our Services?" for additional information.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this Policy or within our Services, we reserve the right to release Personal Information about our users when we deem such release to be appropriate to comply with law, respond to compulsory process or law enforcement requests, enforce our Terms of Service, or protect the rights, property or safety of our users, the public, AHC, our affiliates, or any third party. Over time, we may reorganize or transfer various assets and lines of business. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated herein or within our Services, we reserve the right to disclose or transfer any information we collect to third parties, in connection with any proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, foreclosure, liquidation, amalgamation, or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance, or financing of all or any portion of AHC or our affiliates.
What Other Parties Might Be Collecting Information When You Use Our Services?
Third-Party Advertising, Data and Analytics Companies
Blogs, Discussion Forums and Community or Social Networking Areas
This Policy only addresses the use and transfer of information that we collect from you. To the extent that you disclose any information to other parties, whether through interactive features, third-party services, or promotions offered on or through the Services, or through other websites throughout the Internet, different policies will apply and AHC will not be responsible for the use or dissemination of such information. Our Services may offer social network tools, message boards, chat rooms, or other forums or interactive areas you can use to communicate with other users or to submit and post your own content (such as stories, blogs, photos and videos, and the like). If you disclose Personal Information in one of these forums, the information can be viewed, collected, and used by others. AHC is not responsible for the dissemination of information you disclose in these forums. We encourage you to consult any applicable forum rules and the Terms of Service regarding the policies and procedures that apply to that portion of our Services.
How Can You Opt-Out of Receiving Our Promotional Communications?
You may opt-out from receiving e-mail communications from us by using the unsubscribe link or instructions included in most e-mail message you receive, or by sending your request to Customer Care at email@example.com, or by postal mail to:
A.H. Belo CorporationAttn: Opt-Out Request/Customer Care1954 Commerce St.Dallas, TX 75201.
Data Retention; and How Can You Update Your Personal Information or Registration Information?
We will retain your personal information and non-personal information for as long as we deem fit. We reserve the right to dispose of or delete any or all such personal information or non-personal information at any time (including prior to any specific retention timeframe we may communicate), except as set forth in any other agreement or document executed by both you and Us concerning the same or as required by law.
For certain services and options, we require you to register a profile with us online and provide information including, but not limited to, your name, street address, city, state, zip code, (collectively, "Registration Information").
You may be able to change or delete some of your Registration Information and may be able customize your subscription(s) by logging in to myaccount.dallasnews.com.
To delete your profile, please submit a request to Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Safeguards Do We Put in Place to Protect Your Personal Information?
AHC does its best to maintain reasonable safeguards to protect the security and integrity of the Personal Information that you provide to us. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our database nor can we guarantee that the Personal Information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet. We are not liable for any damages that may result from a security breach. For purposes described in this Policy, Personal Information may be transferred to, processed, stored, and accessed by us, our affiliates, and our service providers in the United States and in jurisdictions where any of us may operate. Courts and other authorities in these jurisdictions may, in certain circumstances, be entitled to access your Personal Information. By using the Services, you consent to this transfer, processing, storage, and access of your Personal Information in and/or outside of the jurisdiction in which you reside. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to your profile or making changes.
What Should You Know About Third-Party Sites and Advertising?
We do not knowingly collect or store, nor do we encourage the collection of any Personal Information from anyone below the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected personal information through a Site from a person under 13 years of age, then we will use reasonable efforts to refrain from further using such personal information or maintaining it in retrievable form. Do not use the Services if you are under the age of 13.
Furthermore, if you are under eighteen (18) years of age, then you (or your parent or legal guardian) may at any time request that we remove content or information about you from the Services. Please submit any such request ("Request for Removal of Minor Information") to email@example.com, with a subject line of "Removal of Minor Information."
For each Request for Removal of Minor Information, please state "Removal of Minor Information" in the email or letter subject line, and clearly state the following in the body:
- the nature of your request;
- the specific Site(s) that is/are the subject of your request;
- the identity of the content or information to be removed;
- the location on content or information on the Site (e.g., providing the URL for the specific web page the content or information is found on);
- that the request is related to the "Removal of Minor Information;"
- your name, street address, city, state, zip code and email address; and
- whether you prefer to receive a response to your request by mail or email.
We are not responsible for failing to comply with any Request for Removal of Minor Information that is incomplete, incorrectly labeled or incorrectly sent.
Please note that the aforementioned removal does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of such content or information posted on any or all of our Sites.
Also, please note that We are not required to erase or otherwise eliminate, or to enable erasure or elimination of, such content or information in certain circumstances, such as, for example, when an international, federal, state, or local law, rule or regulation requires Us to maintain the content or information; when the content or information is stored on or posted to a Site by a third-party other than you (including any content or information posted by you that was stored, republished or reposted by the third-party); when We anonymize the content or information, so that you cannot be individually identified; when you do not follow the aforementioned instructions for requesting the removal of the content or information; and when you have received compensation or other consideration for providing the content or information.
The foregoing is a description of Our voluntary practices concerning the collection of personal information through a Site from certain minors, and is not intended to be an admission that We are subject to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, the Federal Trade Commission's Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule(s), or any similar international, federal, state, or local laws, rules, or regulations.
How Do You Contact Us?
If you have any questions or comments about our Policy, please contact Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your California Privacy Rights.
If you are a California resident, you have the right, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed Personal Information for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year. Please email requests for such information to email@example.com.
For each California Privacy Rights Request, please state "Your California Privacy Rights" in the email or letter subject line, and clearly state the following in the body:
- the nature of your request;
- the specific Services that is/are the subject of your request;
- that the request is related to "Your California Privacy Rights;"
- your name, street address, city, state, zip code and email address; and
- whether you prefer to receive a response to your request by mail or email.
We are not responsible for a California Privacy Rights Request that is incomplete, incorrectly labeled or incorrectly sent. You are solely responsible for the accuracy and content of your personal information, and for keeping your personal information current and correct.
Further, we do not respond to "do not track" (DNT) signals.
International Law. We control, operate, and administer the Services from the United States. We make no representation that any material on our Services is appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. Illegal access to the Services from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. You may not use the Services or export them in violation of U.S. export laws, rules, and regulations. If you access the Services from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws. We do not presently offer the Services to citizens or residents of the European Union.
Electronic Communications. Communications from us to you will be sent via electronic mail. You agree that this satisfies any legal requirement of "in writing" from us to you.
Reporting Abuse. We provide a monitored and active email address for you to report abuse. If you believe any content on the Services is against our Terms of Service, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notices. Any notices or communications from you to us must be in writing, in English, and sent to the address below:
A. H. Belo CorporationAttn: General Counsel1954 Commerce StreetDallas, Texas 75201.