Man jailed in Dallas slaying that police say occurred during pursuit of phone thief

Tedarrian Lockett, 30, faces a murder charge in the October shooting.

A 30-year-old man faces a murder charge in the fatal shooting of 21-year old Miguel Guzman in October, which Dallas police say stemmed from a stolen cellphone.

Tedarrian Lockett was booked into the Dallas County jail Thursday. His attorney, Paul Johnson, said in a written statement, “Tedarrion is adamant that he is not guilty of this charge and intends to fight the charge in front of a jury, if necessary.”

Dallas police were called about 5:45 a.m. Oct. 2 to a shooting in the 11100 block of Ables Lane, near Walnut Hill Lane and Interstate 35E in northwest Dallas, where they found Guzman with a gunshot wound to the back of his head. He died from his injuries a week later.

According to an arrest-warrant affidavit, Guzman was at a dance club near Northwest Highway and Walton Walker Freeway with two other people when one of them noticed their phone was missing about 2:30 a.m.

The group eventually tracked the phone to the 2400 block of Arbuckle Court and confronted the driver of a white Cadillac parked on the street. When the Cadillac drove off, Guzman and the two others pursued, the affidavit says.

At a stop sign a short distance away, the phone’s owner got out of the car to confront the Cadillac’s driver again. Police wrote in the affidavit that the car drove off and the witness heard gunshots, then saw Guzman “slumped over” in his vehicle.

Police said surveillance footage showed the Cadillac arriving near the location of the shooting and dropping someone off. When the Cadillac pulled up to the intersection, police said, that person shot at Guzman’s vehicle at the same time the Cadillac drove away.

Authorities later recovered the phone from Lockett’s residence, the affidavit says, and took him into custody on unrelated warrants.

According to the affidavit, Lockett told police he stole the phone while working security at the nightclub, but denied involvement with the shooting. Police wrote in the document that his cellphone’s GPS placed him near the intersection at the time of the shooting, however.

Police said the driver of the Cadillac also was arrested but did not identify that person or the charges they face.

Lockett remained in custody Wednesday, with bail set at $150,000.

Related Stories
View More
Breaking News

Get the breaking news

Get email alerts on breaking news stories as soon as they happen.

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy