newsTexas

Richardson wants to recognize property owners that have helped improve the city

Nominations are open for the Community Revitalization awards, which recognize property owners who have made “significant exterior improvements” that enhanced the community.

If you know someone who has enhanced their Richardson property this year, you can nominate them for the city’s annual Community Revitalization Awards.

The deadline to nominate is Oct. 8.

Richardson’s website lists these four criteria in order to be selected for an award.

• Building or facade improvements
  • Landscaping or lighting enhancements
  • Signage upgrades
  • A consistently high level of general maintenance

Created by the Richardson City Council in 1994, the revitalization awards program recognizes property owners who have made significant exterior improvements to their properties, according to the city’s website. Those improvements must have enhanced the community and had a positive impact on the surrounding area.

Both residential and non-residential projects can be nominated. Since the program’s start, more than 280 properties have been recognized.

The program enhances the city’s efforts to foster neighborhood vitality, according to the website. Rather than award a grant or funding, the program recognizes efforts and encourages future efforts in the community.

After city staff members collect and compile award nominations throughout the year, the nominations are sent to a judging committee in November. The judging committee is made up of two city council members, two city plan commissioners and a representative from the Richardson Chamber of Commerce.

To be selected for the award, nominees must have had an impact on the surrounding neighborhood area or city as a whole.

The city council typically honors the award recipients with a reception and award presentation in February.

Anyone can be nominated for the award. If you’re a property owner, you can nominate yourself. Nominations can be submitted here.

Cecilia Lenzen, Special Contributor. Cecilia Lenzen is a freelance reporter covering Richardson for The Dallas Morning News. She is a senior at UT-Arlington, where she is studying journalism. She spent three years working at the student newspaper, The Shorthorn, and her reporting has also appeared in the Fort Worth Report, D Magazine, Dallas Observer and other Texas news outlets.

cecilialenzen@gmail.com cecilia__lenzen
Breaking News

Get the breaking news

Get email alerts on breaking news stories as soon as they happen.

By signing up you agree to our privacy policy